I read my Ode to a Favourite (Pizza) out in class to plenty of laughter. Even though the poem was supposed to be funny I can't be sure if they were laughing at me or with me. I'm happy either way because I like to make people laugh be it with witticisms or as the clown, but the laughter was slightly more than I had expected for this poem so I think they were probably laughing at me.
Unfortunately for Sarah our poems were read out and talked about together because hers was funny too, but I think hers was actually a good poem with about something real (a sort of breakup). Hers had a really funny title - Ode to a Dickhead, and it rhymed cleverly.
My tutor went to talk about my poem, and said "the last stanza... I don't even know what to say..." and then he didn't say anything. Normally people that say, "I don't know what to say" follow it with something therefore rendering the first line pointless, but Paul (the tutor) said nothing, so he might actually have been stumped. That or he was too polite to say "is this guy for real?" or "Alan, were you in the special class in school?"
My reasoning behind writing an ode to a pizza is because when I first read about the ode and found out what it was I immediately made a note in my copybook - "ODE - Exaggerate the fuck out of something."
I decided to play on the ancient tradition of highly praising or honouring someone or something. I also knew (bolstered by my attempt at a Sestina) that I can't really do poetry, so I might as well play to my strengths and try make it funny. So I thought, what do I love? I'm hungry. I love pizza. And thus the ode to a pizza was born.
What did I learn from this class? I learned that RoisÃn is a poetic freak. (In a good genius-type way)
No comments:
Post a Comment